The House System is an important part of life at St Mark’s. Students are allocated to one of four houses - Carnley, Challen, Moyes and Watkins, each of which is named after a person who was instrumental in the foundation of our School. Siblings will be in the same House, and children of Old Scholars will be in the same House as their parent.
Each fortnight, Middle and Senior students engage in “House time.” This is an opportunity to spend time working with other members of their House group. Activities include drama, dance, mural and public speaking. House activities also take place regularly in the Junior School and once a term in the Early Learning Centre.
Studies have shown that co-curricular involvement contributes to better academic performance and psychological functioning in school-aged children. Students are more likely to succeed if they feel accepted, valued, respected and included. The House Activities program aims to address all four of these vital components. Being ‘House proud’ is important. It gives students a sense of belonging, of being a part of a team.
The Most Reverend Dr Peter Carnley, AC was Archbishop of Perth from 1981 to 2005 and Primate of the Anglican Church of Australia from 2000 until July 2005.
Archbishop Peter Carnley was very positive that the Anglican Church in WA could and should fund a low-fee coeducational school, although there was opposition from some members of the church. He assisted in encouraging the Diocese to purchase the land at Whitfords as the site for such a school. Archbishop Carnley chose the name “The Anglican Community School of St Mark” for the school and this was announced on October 24 1984. (The School’s name was officially changed to “St Mark’s Anglican Community School” in September 1991.) Dr Carnley officially opened St Mark’s and commissioned the Principal and staff on 9 February, 1986.
The Carnley House banner depicts a Whale and Swan River Daisies. The House Colour is blue.
Bishop Michael Challen was the Foundation Chair of the Interim Anglican Education Commission. Bishop Challen was a graduate in Science and Theology. He was ordained in 1957 and consecrated a bishop in 1978. He was well-known for his egalitarian approach to social issues, including education. He was Convenor of a Task Force set up after the 1981 Synod to consider the possibility of opening low-cost Anglican schools. Diocesan Council resolved on 7 October 1982 to set up an Interim Anglican Education Commission (IAEC) under the chairmanship of Bishop Challen. Another committee, called the Anglican Schools’ Trust, already existed and after a great deal of negotiation and persuasion by Bishop Challen and Archbishop Carnley, the two bodies merged to form the Anglican Schools Commission on 11 October 1985. As Convenor of the Task Force, it was Bishop Challen’s special focus to support a wider cross-section of Anglican families by the establishment of low-fee schools in less affluent areas. Bishop Challen was Chair of Parkerville Children’s Home from 2001 to 2008; Adjunct Professor at Curtin University; and a Lecturer at the University of WA Social Policy Department. He retired in 1999.
The Challen House banner depicts a Gecko and Eucalypt. The House Colour is green.
Mr Peter M. Moyes A.M., O.B.E. (1917 – 2007) was Headmaster of Christchurch Grammar School, Claremont, from 1951 to 1981. On his retirement he became the real driving force behind the decision to set up low-fee Anglican schools. Mr Moyes was a member of both the Anglican Schools Trust (AST) and the Interim Anglican Education Commission (IAEC), of which he became Chairman on 20 December, 1983. Mr Moyes played a pivotal role in steering the merger of the AST and the IAEC to form the Anglican Schools Commission (ASC), of which he was appointed Chairman in October, 1985 and which met for the first time on 12 December 1985. As Foundation Chairman of the Anglican Schools Commission, he was very active in the setting up of St Mark’s and establishing the governance model for the ASC and its schools. Mr Moyes remained Chairman until 1993. Mr Moyes’ was a great source of support and inspiration for the Foundation Principal and the School Council and his outstanding legacy to education, and in particular to St Mark’s, was recognised by naming Moyes House in his honour.
The Moyes House banner depicts a Sea Dragon and Kangaroo Paw. The House Colour is red.
Mr Glynn Watkins, O.A.M. (1925 to 2008) was an outstanding educator and administrator for over 40 years with the Education Department and was Foundation Principal of Morley and Wanneroo Senior High Schools. Mr Watkins was a staunch Anglican and was the ideal person to become Chair of the Interim School Council of St Mark’s in 1985, and then Chair of the School Council from 1986 until 1993. Mr Watkins’ wisdom as an educator, and his Christian commitment, as well as his delightfully engaging good humour and enthusiasm, were instrumental in nurturing and guiding the School Council as its first Chairman. Mr Watkins’ outstanding legacy to education, and in particular to St Mark’s, was recognised by naming Watkins House in his honour.
The Watkins House banner depicts an Osprey and Wattle. The House Colour is yellow.